Following the Top 10 EP’s of 2014, it is now time to take a look back at some of the best, most noteworthy single releases in the past year and rank them on their greatness. This year was particularly challenging and there was obviously many more songs that I would have loved to include, but this is what I came up with, so you will deal. Let me know what you think and feel free to comment below with your own list!
50. Nicki Minaj – Anaconda
49. Fifth Harmony – Bo$$
48. ZHU – Faded
47. Lorde – Yellow Flicker Beat
46. The Weeknd – Often
45. Shakira – Empire
44. Broods – Mother & Father
43. MNEK – Wrote A Song About You
42. Jhené Aiko – The Pressure
41. Tinashe – Pretend (feat. A$AP Rocky)
40. Ariana Grande – Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea)
39. Florrie – Little White Lies
38. Lady Gaga – G.U.Y
37. G.R.L. – Ugly Heart
36. La Roux – Uptight Downtown
35. Selena Gomez – The Heart Wants What It Wants
34. Calvin Harris – Blame (feat. John Newman)
33. Katy Perry – Birthday
32. Ed Sheeran – Sing
31. Jennifer Lopez – I Luh Ya Papi
30. Kylie Minogue – Into The Blue
29. Fifth Harmony – Sledgehammer
28. Chris Brown – Loyal (feat. Lil Wayne & Tyga)
27. Lykke Li – Gunshot
26. Ella Henderson – Ghost
25. Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass
24. Becky Hill – Losing
23. Azealia Banks – Chasing Time
22. Beyoncé – Partition
21. Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)
20. Jessie J, Ariana Grande, & Nicki Minaj – Bang Bang
19. Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
18. Route 94 – My Love
17. Kiesza – Hideaway
16. Jessie Ware – Tough Love
15. Iggy Azalea – Fancy (feat. Charli XCX)
14. Ariana Grande – Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)
13. Tove Lo – Habits (Stay High)
12. Lana Del Rey – West Coast
11. Tinashe – 2 On (feat. Schoolboy Q)
10. Charli XCX – Boom Clap: Thanks to her most unforgettable chorus yet, Charli finally broke out with a hit of her very own. Boom! Clap!
9. Banks – Beggin For Thread: Brooding chanteuse picks up the pace and takes on a bigger, more powerful pop sound proving she’s capable of providing a playful/radio-friendly twist to her largely mysterious aesthetic. WIN!
8. Sam Smith – Stay With Me: While most of 2014 was dominated by catchy hooks and turn-up jams, Sam‘s beautiful piano ballad was that rare #blessed moment where you stopped everything and took a moment to go to church. The power of a choir!
7. Nick Jonas – Jealous: The youngest/hottest Jonas breaks free from his brothers and drops a super addicting, silky-smooth thirst jam.
5. Katy B – Crying for No Reason: Little Red‘s finest vocal moment yet and the best heartbreak disco anthem since Robyn‘s “Dancing On My Own“.
4. Clean Bandit – Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne): Heart-felt, intricate and meaningful lyricism, stunning instrumentation, and the UK’s rising diva made this one a worldwide hit and rightfully so. This is smart, thought-out song crafting at its best!
3. Taylor Swift – Blank Space: Tay Tay pokes fun at herself and delivers one of the most exhilarating and well-written pop songs of the year.
2. Ariana Grande – Break Free (feat. Zedd): Tiny Grande ditches her throwback stylings and emerges as a winning, liberated dance floor diva.
1. Sia – Chandelier: After spending the last couple of years penning hits for almost everyone in the game, Sia came swinging into 2014 with a unique and undeniably explosive smash of her very own. When it comes to songwriting, Sia cannot be touched. The End.